Sunday, July 12, 2009

A funny rather bitter experience with Air India


A funny rather bitter experience with Air


Two years back we boarded Air India to travel to Singapore. We took with us our less than 2 months old baby brother. So we needed a baby cot. We were told that we need to be well ahead for boarding otherwise we might not get the baby cot. We also took the help of our friend's friend working in Air India to arrange for the seat that has the baby cot. We hurried up and made sure we were well ahead in time to get the boarding pass made doubly sure that we are given the seat with the baby cot.

We were so relieved that everything went on fine. We entered the flight and occupied the seat but found that the wall that supposed to have the baby cot fixed is empty. We thought may be they will fix it after the take off. The flight took off smoothly. But where is the baby cot?

My Mom called the Air hostess and asked for it. She smiled and said, "Oh baby cot, wait, I'll bring in a minute".

After few minutes she brought a long and broad basket like stuff, and asked us to lift our legs.

Lifting Legs??? She kept the basket beneath our legs.

My mother asked her "do I have to fix it in the wall"?

Wall? No no, you have to keep it down and leave the baby in.

What!!! Mom was perplexed.

How do you expect me to leave the baby beneath the legs?

Mom, what if I put my legs on the baby when I sleep?

It won't happen my boy. She gave a smile again.

Also it would be difficult to move out if we want to.

No, Mam. You'll have to adjust. We can't fix it on the wall. This flight is very old. There is a possibility that it might fall.

Is this the baby cot you offer to all babies travelling in this flight.

of course, yes.

she left the place.

We were sitting there with confused feelings.

Finally I had my legs and my backpack inside the so called baby cot and my baby brother had a comfortable place in my Mom's lap.

May be that's what every parent travelling with a baby in flight doing.

No comments: